If you’re involved in animal rescue, you’re probably repeatedly disappointed when potential adopters skip right over some of the sweetest pets simply because they’re not so young anymore. Below are five fantastic reasons to adopt an older animal, please pass them along!
1. There are fewer surprises! An older animal’s size, personality, and grooming needs are pretty set in stone. You won’t be shocked when your 15 lb. puppy turns into a 75 lb. dog!
2. Training isn’t as intense: Many older pets have potty training down. Also, since they’ve had homes before, they’re typically more able to figure out what humans are asking of them.
3. Fewer chewed up shoes: Puppies are known for making messes. If you opt for a more mature dog, you’re also opting for less of a headache.
4. They’re full of love: It’s pretty obvious how grateful senior pets are for a happy home and they’re glad to repay you with unconditional love.
5. You’ll save a life! Senior pets are some of the last to be adopted. If you choose to open your heart and home to one of these loving animals, you’ll also be a hero.